Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Weekend of Celebrating and Loving You


A major event this weekend is Valentine's Day. So it gets me thinking, even though it's not as important of a holiday as the other one's, it's about the celebration of love and all of it's variations. We are not just celebrating our relationships with our boyfriends or husbands, but sisters, girlfriends, cousins or whoever we provide caring, love and support for all year long. (Our parents already have designated holidays so that's why they're not listed and everyday seems like a holiday for our children so they do not count.) What about loving yourself? I mean really, who provides love and support to you more than yourself?-YOU! All too often we get caught up caring for others and not ourselves. It is not selfish to recognize our own self worth once and a while and to celebrate it, indulge a little!

To pay homage to loving myself, I will have a weekend of "Loving Me" and treat myself to a few things I've been wanting for a while now and just haven't had the excuse to indulge. Of coarse I will have a few little surprises for some loved ones this weekend but I will spoil myself a little this weekend as well. I think you and I both deserve a little me time once in a while and this Valentines Day is the perfect occasion! So let's celebrate. I cheated and started early this morning on my first self indulgent treat. I made myself a red velvet Valentines Day cake!! Since no one in my family likes this cake I made it for me and me only! The cake is quite easy to make and the recipe and directions are as follows:

Ingredients:
  • 1 yellow cake mix
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
  • 2 oz. red food coloring (2 large bottles -- yes, the whole bottle)
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup frozen whipped topping (such as Cool Whip), thawed
  • 2-4 Tbsp. water
  • Valentines day sprinkles
Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans or a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
  2. With an electric mixer, beat cake mix, eggs, sour cream, buttermilk, oil, vinegar and food coloring together on high for two minutes.
  3. Pour batter into prepared cake pan(s). Bake 28 to 32 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  4. Let cool completely, then frost.
For Frosting:
  1. Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
  2. Beat in powdered sugar. Stir in whipped topping.
  3. Add just enough water to make icing spreadable.
This is I certainly did enjoy eating this cake!

My second gift to myself will be purchasing a new outfit or two! It's been to long time since I've indulged on new clothing and I can really use a new spring wardrobe. Chadwick's has just released their New Spring Collection featuring over 150 NEW STYLES and you can bet today is going to be one of those carefree easy stay at home shopping days! The New Collection can be seen here. Happy Valentines Day ladies! Enjoy and indulge a little, you are worth it!

I would love to hear ideas of things you do to celebrate you.



No comments:

Post a Comment