Monday, February 8, 2010

Getting there is half the fun!

Whether you call it a holiday, a vacation, or “my time”, a break from our 9 to 5 routine is essential for healthy mind and body. Planning your vacation can be an exciting time, but it can also be a time of stress as well. Deciding where to go and what to see is daunting enough. Do I take a week or two weeks or even just a weekend? Do I stay in a hotel, condominium, or bed and breakfast? How much will it cost? All these questions, in time will need to be answered. Planning is essential to a successful and low stress vacation.


Putting aside these questions, in preparation for a trip myself, I realized I had overlooked an essential question. What do I wear? And how much to pack? I thought this would be easy, I am an average guy with a healthy fashion sense. so I googled it. I was utterly amazed how many people struggle with this question. There are many blogs, travel websites and books written on this subject, all giving advise, some good, some great, and some just odd. Then it hit me. Keep it simple and have fun! Here are just a few examples how to make your wardrobe functionally fun and vacation ready.


• Most airlines charge for baggage and have size limitations, so know before you go!

• Research your destinations weather and plan accordingly. A wool sweater in Bermuda need I say more?

• Mix and match separates. Shirt, shorts, pants…oh my!

• Keep clothing comfortable and have a good pair of walking shoes.

• Coordinate colors so you can maximize your outfits. Basic colors can make this easy. Don’t wear a shirt that can only go with one pair of short or pant.

• Limit the amount you pack. Unless you are Mrs. Howell or Ginger from Gilligan’s Island, packing a steamer trunk for a 3 hour tour might be a bit excessive. If you are going for two weeks then pack for one week. Some clothing can be worn twice.

• When in doubt, leave it out!

• Treat yourself, before you go, add new colors, new shorts or a special bathing suit to freshen up an existing wardrobe.


Just remember, it is a your vacation, is not a fashion runway. Most people are too busy enjoying their vacation to worry what you are wearing, so why should you? Enjoy and happy traveling.

-Sightseer

No comments:

Post a Comment