Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Further Adventures of Singledom

So when we last left our heroine, (that would be me), I was discussing how I was adjusting to the single life and how much I was enjoying it. I was also talking about some of the pitfalls of dating and one subject keeps coming up over and over. Texting.

I have a friend who went through a lot of her divorce at the same time I was going through mine and we helped each other slowly and painfully get through it. She has been dating and has gotten together recently with a really nice guy. Through the entire process the same subject keeps coming up. Do I text or don't I? Should I text him first? Should I answer him? Does it sound right? What did he mean by that?

It is unbelievable that 160 characters would cause that much anxiety. I know because I have gone through the same thing. It is very hard to word something so you don't come across as indifferent, angry, crazy or, worst of all, as a stalker. Then you sit and wait. If you don't get an answer in 5 minutes you start to wonder. Did I say something wrong? Does he not want to talk to me anymore? What if he's with someone else. And when he does answer you back, you start to dissect each word to see if there is some sort of hidden meaning. I'm telling you, I'm starting to miss the old days when you would just sit by the phone.

So, what do you think? To text or not to text? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment