Thursday, November 19, 2009

(Early) Bah Humbug!


Just let me start off by saying, I cannot believe Thanksgiving is NEXT WEEK! What happened to November?

I've read that retailers started skipping Halloween and Thanksgiving and moved right to Christmas to try to get people to open their wallets a little sooner this year. Every year, I keep saying "gotta start holiday shopping early, gotta get started early" but I'm definitely one of those last minute people freaking out at the malls; standing in the store trying to justify buying a activity kit for a 5-year old for my teenage sister or yet another pair of slippers for my mom. What can I say, without a tummy full of turkey, I just can't bring myself to start my holiday shopping!

Every year, I try to propose to my family to just enjoy the company of each other during the holidays, rather than waiting to rip open gifts - but I'm met with 20+ people laughing in my face (I've got a HUGE family). Whatever happened to Holiday Spirit? How do I buy gifts for that many people, WITHOUT breaking the bank? This year, I'm approaching my gift giving different, I'm going all sentimental (I recently took up photography) and giving all the adults a framed, artfully designed photo of their children (last year I bought them all lottery tickets)- hopefully they'll like it! The little kiddies will get toys and clothes, as usual and the teenagers will get money! Done and Done!

What are some of your gift ideas this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment